NCAA Championship meets are filled with enjoyable information and tidbits, and whereas we attempt to work all of them into our numerous recaps and real-time articles, typically there are simply too many to suit into these areas.
In that honor, we now have gone via the highest 12 males’s groups from the NCAA Championship meet and put collectively our favourite stat or two from their efficiency. Whereas not each staff can have left the meet pleased with their remaining end, each staff has one thing fascinating, one thing historic, one thing quick to hold their hat on as they go away the meet, in the event that they dig onerous sufficient.
That’s the lesson that many people have realized over the past yr, looking for a silver lining in an limitless pool of clouds.
Many of those stats have been hand-compiled, hand-counted, and hand-checked. We’re relying on you to tell us if we mis-counted! Tell us within the feedback beneath.
1. Texas Longhorns – So lots of the stats and tales concerning the Longhorns have been instructed. Most (official) NCAA staff championships ever. fifth title in 6 years. Eddie Reese extending his lead because the winningest faculty coach ever. However one which involves gentle now after the championships: Eddie Reese is the one coach within the 75-year historical past of NCAA Division I males’s swimming to retire as a champion. Sure, retirement is usually a bit ‘nebulous,’ with Reese saying he’s prone to nonetheless be round and assist at follow subsequent season, however by way of official, introduced retirements, no different coach has stepped down as head coach on prime. The one different coach to win a title of their remaining season as a collegiate head coach was Richard Fast, who died from most cancers in June 2009 after the Auburn males received the 2009 NCAA title. A stunning variety of nice coaches in swimming historical past have been pressured into retirement by necessary retirement age guidelines. That features names like Bob Kiphuth at Yale, and Matt Mann at Michigan, each of whom have been pressured to retire at age 68. Reese turned 68 on July 23, 2009, and has led the Longhorns to six NCAA staff titles since.
2. Cal Golden Bears – The Cal males have been the NCAA runners-up to Texas for the fifth time within the final 6 seasons. The second-place end extends their streak of prime 2 NCAA finishes to 11 consecutive seasons. Whereas the Golden Bears would certain commerce their streak for Texas’ 5 titles, that run of consistency is spectacular, and one even Texas can’t boast (they positioned Third in 2013, when Michigan received). They now transfer one nearer to Michigan’s file of 12-straight prime 2 staff finishes on the NCAA Championships, earned within the first 12 NCAA Championship meets the place official staff awards got from 1937 to 1948. Michigan’s streak almost-certainly would have been longer, if the NCAA had awarded staff titles on the championship meet previous to 1937.
3. Florida – The final time there was greater than 1 freshman in an NCAA “A” remaining within the 50 free was 2015, when Caeleb Dressel received the title and Paul Powers positioned eighth. Together with Florida freshman Adam Chaney, who positioned Third, there have been 3 NCAA newcomers on this yr’s A-final. Going again to 1996, the final yr we constantly have NCAA ends in our outcomes archive, we couldn’t discover some other event the place there have been 3 or extra freshman (and most of the time, there have been no freshman). The opposite two have been Bjorn Seeliger of Cal and Youssef Ramadan of Virginia Tech. That doesn’t even embrace Matt King of Alabama, who swam an A-final time, however was disqualified in prelims. Chaney offers Florida, together with Caeleb Dressel, two of the quickest freshman sprinters in historical past.
4. Georgia – Displaying simply how top-heavy this yr’s NCAA Championship meet was, Georgia positioned 4th with 268 factors. That’s the lowest-scoring 4th-place staff at NCAAs since 1998, when Tennesseee scored simply 233 factors. That yr featured a 599-point outlay by Stanford that continues to be one of the dominant meets in NCAA Championship historical past. That is nonetheless the Bulldogs’ 2nd-best end and 2nd-best level complete in NCAA Championship historical past, although, behind solely their Third-place end in 1997.
5. Louisville – When Louisville employed Arthur Albiero as head coach in August of 2003, this system had by no means scored at a males’s NCAA Championship meet. That development held via his first season, however by yr two, in 2005, they hit paydirt and have been off to the races. They’ve now scored at 16 straight NCAA Championship meets. No teaching rent within the twenty first century has carried out extra to show a program with primarily no nationwide legacy right into a powerhouse than has Albiero. That’s additionally the Cardinals’ 2nd-straight prime 5 end, which follows their first ACC staff title.
6. Indiana – As soon as star sprinter Bruno Blaskovic suffered a again damage that has him out of the water for 6-8 months, there weren’t excessive hopes for the Indiana males this season. A sixth place end is a giant ethical victory for them. The Hoosiers’ core will return virtually solely intact subsequent season: the staff didn’t use a single senior on any of its relays.
7. Ohio State – The Buckeyes’ seventh place end, mixed with a Ninth-palce end final season, made for his or her finest back-to-back end since 1965 and 1966. In 1965, they positioned fifth, and in 1966 they positioned Ninth. After the retirement of the legendary Mike Peppe in 1963, these back-to-back prime 10 finishers have been the final two yr run of this high quality for greater than 50 years.
8. NC State – The Wolfpack snapped a four-straight streak of 4th-place finishes at NCAAs, nevertheless it may not be lengthy till they return. On prime of a dynamite recruiting class coming in, the Wolfpack had 0 particular person factors scored from seniors at NCAAs. Whereas fairly uncommon, that is really the second-straight NCAA Championship meet the place a prime 8 staff received’t lose any particular person scorers: Florida positioned sixth in 2019 with none senior factors.
9. Virginia Cavaliers – The Cavaliers earned a prime 10 end not on stars however on depth. They’d simply 1 A-finalist on the meet, senior Keefer Barnum, who was fifth within the 100 breast and seventh within the 200 breast. How did they get there? For one, they beat seed. Together with the Cal Golden Bears and Florida Gators, Virginia was one in every of solely three colleges to enhance their seed time in all 5 relays. They broke college data in 9 occasions on the meet. That’s not the type of quantity we often see from a prime 10 staff, which typically has more-established college data than that. The Cavaliers’ star energy will begin to develop this fall, when freshman Jack Aikins joins the staff, however the smoke is rising from this program.
10. Texas A&M Aggies – Coming into the 2021 NCAA Swimming & Diving Championships, the Texas A&M males had by no means received an NCAA title in any occasion, whereas the Texas A&M ladies had received 10. Whereas the Aggie males have been a stable middle-tier program on the NCAA Championships for a very long time, they’ve by no means actually poked a lot on the higher echelon of groups. However with Shaine Casas’ 3 titles the Aggies now be a part of 70 different colleges to have received D1 occasion titles. Vital in its personal proper, right here’s why else that is noteworthy: beforehand, Texas A&M had been the highest-ranked college in all-time particular person ladies’s occasion titles to have by no means received a males’s title. That honor now goes to Nevada, which has received 5 diving titles and doesn’t sponsor a males’s program. Amongst swimming titles, Clemson has received 4 ladies’s with none males’s, although now each packages are discontinued there. Hawaii (2 ladies’s swimming titles, 2 ladies’s diving titles, 0 males’s titles) is the very best program on that record that also sponsors varsity packages for each genders.
11. Virginia Tech – The Hokies’ 13 prime 16 finishes at this yr’s NCAA Championships is probably the most this system has ever had. Their earlier finest was 11 on the 2013 NCAA Championships. The Hokies received their first All-America award in 2004, when Gus Calado as a freshman positioned twelfth within the 200 meter fly. Actually, Virginia Tech really scored extra All-America finishes this yr than they did final yr, the place the CSCAA awarded all qualifiers All-America honors. This was the staff’s highest-ever NCAA Championship placement, by 7 spots.
12. Michigan – A profession better of 19.02 within the 50 free remaining for fifth place wraps up Gus Borges’ profession (pending NCAA waivers for a fifth yr) because the #2-ranked 50 freestyler in Michigan historical past. It’s not completely unusual to have quick father-son combo swimmers, however it’s extremely uncommon to have each on a faculty’s all-time prime 10 record on the similar time, as evolutions within the sport are inclined to push these lists faster-and-faster over time. However his dad, Gustavo Borges, stays the Ninth-fastest Wolverine ever within the 50 yard free because of his 19.48 from 1993.