Michigan Males to Hit Street for Indiana Gladstein Invite
1/21/2021 12:08:00 PM
// Kyle Terwillegar
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — The College of Michigan males’s monitor and area workforce will compete this Saturday (Jan. 23) at Indiana’s Gladstein Invitational in what would be the workforce’s first foray on the street of this 2021 season.
Not solely will Saturday’s competitors in opposition to Indiana, Michigan State and Purdue be a ramping up of the indoor season for the squad’s sprinters, mid-distance runners and area occasion athletes, it additionally will function a remaining tune-up for subsequent Saturday’s Large Ten Cross Nation Championships for the choose distance runners.
Many of the standout performers from final weekend’s Simmons-Harvey Invitational will make the journey seeking to construct on the momentum from their debut efforts. Amongst them are the nation’s second-ranked miler in newcomer Tom Dodd (mile) and multi-event specialist Ayden Owens (60-meter hurdles, 60 meters and shot put) in preparation for his first heptathlon at Michigan subsequent week.
Additionally suiting as much as compete are returning Large Ten Indoor Championships scorers in John Meyer (shot put), Josh Zeller (60-meter hurdles), Mason Mahacek (60-meter hurdles and shot put), Heath Baldwin (60-meter hurdles and shot put), and Job Mayhue (60-meter hurdles).
Making his official 2021 debut after serving to to tempo Dodd’s mile final weekend will probably be multiple-time Large Ten scorer Anthony Berry, who has scored at a number of Large Ten Championships in his profession.
That group and extra will compete in a men-only session starting at 1:30 p.m., which is predicted to conclude at 4 p.m. A women-only session will precede the boys’s motion beginning at 10 a.m. with the intention to maintain crowd density and publicity factors inside the facility to a minimal.
Spectators won’t be allowed into the ability as a precautionary measure and to permit for extra room for contributors from separate groups to house themselves out inside the constructing.
Followers will be capable to comply with together with a stay stream of the motion. Common updates can even be offered by way of stay outcomes and the official social media channels of Michigan monitor and area.
• Mile (2:10 p.m.) — Berry has the quickest mile private file of any student-athlete on the roster at 4:01.77, and he’s set to make his first full effort on the distance in 2021 on Saturday. He served because the pacer for the 4:03.27 Michigan debut final weekend for Dodd, who will as soon as extra race the mile this weekend. They are going to face off with Indiana’s Matthew Schadler, who has a 3:58.45 mile to his title.
• Shot Put (3:15 p.m.) — Meyer will get a rematch with former Large Ten champion Jalil Brewer of Purdue in his signature occasion. Brewer bought the higher of Meyer final weekend as they completed second and third behind Andrew Liskowitz, however Meyer completed fourth finally 12 months’s Large Ten Indoor Championships to Brewer’s eighth. Moreover, heptathletes Owens, Mahacek and Baldwin will get reps in earlier than their heptathlon debuts subsequent weekend. Owens is coming off a career-best 13.97m (45-10).
• 60-Meter Hurdles (1:30 p.m. prelims, 2 p.m. remaining) — Michigan’s dynamic group of hurdlers ought to take middle stage on this occasion. Owens will look to construct on his 7.87 debut from final week, and likewise for Zeller after a 7.98 opener. Mayhue additionally goals to method the sub-8.00 second type he has proven in every of the previous two seasons.
Wolverines within the Nationwide Rankings
• Returning Particular person Large Ten Indoor Championships scorers: Meyer (shot put), Mason Mahacek (heptathlon), Josh Zeller (60-meter hurdles), Heath Baldwin (heptathlon), Job Mayhue (2019 60-meter hurdles), Aho (2019 3,000 meters), Will Landowne (2019 3,000 meters)
• After a full season away from competitors post-transfer in 2020, Owens is poised to make his much-anticipated debut in 2021. Whereas at USC, Owens was a first-team All-American within the indoor heptathlon and posted the second-best decathlon rating ever by an NCAA freshman (8,130 factors). With a full 12 months of coaching within the Michigan system now underneath his belt, he’s seeking to choose up the place he left off.
• Shot putter Meyer will choose up the mantle of being Wolverines’ prime thrower, at the least till 2020 NCAA shot put chief Andrew Liskowitz returns for the outside season. Meyer is on the cusp of nationwide prominence in his personal proper, having positioned fourth at Large Ten Indoors in 2020 and completed the season No. 26 within the nation.
• Led by cross nation All-People Meyrer and Aho, the space squad will probably be pulling double-duty to compete in indoor monitor whereas getting ready for a truncated cross nation season from January via March. The 2 All-People will probably be seeking to translate their cross nation success to the monitor, alongside the likes of multiple-time Large Ten Championships scorer Anthony Berry, former highschool nationwide champion Nick Foster and a deep secure of gifted runners. Becoming a member of the group from the worldwide scene are Englishman Tom Dodd and Australian Oli Raimond, who’re anticipated to be quick contributors and potential convention scorers.
• Michigan returns one of many nation’s finest hurdles duos in Zeller and Mayhue, each of whom made the 2020 Large Ten Indoor 60-meter hurdles remaining. The Brit Zeller dazzled in his debut 2020 marketing campaign as he climbed all the way in which to No. 3 at school historical past, whereas Mayhue certified for the Large Ten remaining for the second time in as many seasons. They may very well be joined by Owens in choose open races, given his energy within the occasion. Additionally returning is 4×400 relay All-American Hartman, who’s primed for a person breakthrough in 2021. Chief among the many newcomers is PhD scholar Austin Lin, an achieved 400-meter runner from Northeastern.
When to Watch the Wolverines
|Wolverines on the Gladstein Invite|
|Hanna Hearn||60 meter sprint||Ultimate||10:00 AM|
|Hannah Waller||60 meter sprint||Ultimate||10:00 AM|
|Erin Connor||Weight Throw||Ultimate||10:00 AM|
|Courtney Jacobsen||Weight Throw||Ultimate||10:00 AM|
|Paige Chapman||60 meter hurdles||Ultimate||10:10 AM|
|Madison Eaton||60 meter hurdles||Ultimate||10:10 AM|
|Theresa Mayanja||60 meter hurdles||Ultimate||10:10 AM|
|Bree Bredeweg||Pole Vault||Ultimate||10:15 AM|
|Morgan Flynn||Pole Vault||Ultimate||10:15 AM|
|Jessica Mercier||Pole Vault||Ultimate||10:15 AM|
|Cate Visscher||Pole Vault||Ultimate||10:15 AM|
|Katelynne Hart||Mile||Ultimate||10:20 AM|
|Alice Hill||Mile||Ultimate||10:20 AM|
|Kathryn Home||Mile||Ultimate||10:20 AM|
|Samantha Saenz||Mile||Ultimate||10:20 AM|
|Maddy Trevisan||Mile||Ultimate||10:20 AM|
|Ericka Vanderlende||Mile||Ultimate||10:20 AM|
|Hannah Waller||Lengthy Soar||Ultimate||10:30 AM|
|Chika Amene||400 meter sprint||Ultimate||10:35 AM|
|Emma Lane||400 meter sprint||Ultimate||10:35 AM|
|Katt Miner||Excessive Soar||Ultimate||10:40 AM|
|Jada Wimberly||Excessive Soar||Ultimate||10:40 AM|
|Eva Jansohn||800 meter run||Ultimate||10:45 AM|
|Lexi Munley||800 meter run||Ultimate||10:45 AM|
|Lucy Petee||800 meter run||Ultimate||10:45 AM|
|Julia Sullivan||800 meter run||Ultimate||10:45 AM|
|Jena Metwalli||3,000 meter run||Ultimate||11:00 AM|
|Raquel Powers||3,000 meter run||Ultimate||11:00 AM|
|Samantha Tran||3,000 meter run||Ultimate||11:00 AM|
|Kayla Windemuller||3,000 meter run||Ultimate||11:00 AM|
|Ziyah Holman||600 meter run||Ultimate||11:15 AM|
|Erin Connor||Shot Put||Ultimate||11:15 AM|
|Theresa Mayanja||Shot Put||Ultimate||11:15 AM|
|Amanda Schaare||Shot Put||Ultimate||11:15 AM|
|Lexi Munley, Eva Jansohn,
Lucy Petee Julia Sullivan
|4×800 relay||Ultimate||11:40 AM|
|Hanna Hearn, Emma Lane,
Ziyah Holman Chika Amene
|4×400 relay||Ultimate||11:55 AM|