- DK Metcalf teased a possible USA Monitor & Area tryout on Twitter.
- The second-year Seattle Seahawks large receiver took the sports activities world by storm after sprinting 114.8 yards at a most pace of twenty-two.64 mph to thwart Arizona Cardinals security Budda Baker’s full-field pick-six landing.
- The official USA Monitor and Area account tweeted, “@NFL gamers are welcome to come back take a look at their pace towards actual pace subsequent yr on the Olympic Trials” in response to the hype round Metcalf.
- Metcalf responded to the message on his personal account, including “See you there” with a smiling emoji.
- If sustained, Metcalf’s 22.64-mph mark on Sunday was sooner than all however one of many world’s quickest 100-meter data this yr, so the 6-foot-4, 229-pound 22-year-old may make an actual impression at trials.
- Go to Insider’s homepage for extra tales.
DK Metcalf is undoubtedly one of many quickest males on the planet, and he put that pace on full show throughout his epic chase-down deal with on Arizona Cardinals sturdy security Budda Baker.
And now that the sports activities world has seen simply how briskly the 6-foot-4, 229-pound Seattle Seahawks large receiver can transfer, chatter is constructing round his potential involvement with the USA Monitor & Area group.
On Monday, the official Twitter account for USA Monitor & Area quote tweeted a video of Metcalf’s 114.8-yard dash from the Seahawks’ Sunday Evening Soccer bout towards the Cardinals with the next message:
“For everybody asking if we now have a spot open on our relay group for @dkm14, @NFL gamers are welcome to come back take a look at their pace towards actual pace subsequent yr on the Olympic Trials.”
Metcalf responded from his private Twitter account a number of hours later, including “See you there” with a smiling emoji.
—DK Metcalf (@dkm14) October 27, 2020
Although the change might have been playful in nature, the 22-year-old might have a reputable shot at qualifying for the nationwide group ought to he have an actual curiosity. Metcalf reached a most pace of twenty-two.64 miles per hour throughout his full-field dash Sunday night time. If sustained, that pace converts to a 9.88-second mark in a 100-meter sprint.
And he did that in a full soccer uniform!
The proprietor of this yr’s quickest time within the outside 100-meter sprint occasion — American Michael Norman — clocked in at 9.86 seconds again in July at AP Ranch in Fort Price, Texas. The following-fastest mark was 9.90 seconds, per World Athletics.
Metcalf could be removed from the primary NFL participant to take part within the Olympic video games ought to he truly discover worldwide success in a Monitor & Area profession. Since 2012, half a dozen soccer stars have competed for medals. And Kansas Metropolis Chiefs large receiver Tyreek Hill — who is named one of many quickest gamers within the league — has repeatedly stated he intends to attempt qualifying for the US nationwide group forward of the Tokyo Olympics.
However after a full NFL season, it’s going to undoubtedly be an uphill battle for both Hill or Metcalf to qualify. In response to NBC Sports activities analyst Ato Boldon, a former sprinter who earned 4 Olympic medals in his prime, “you are not going from a complete NFL season to being an Olympic qualifier within the 100m.”
—Ato Boldon (@AtoBoldon) January 29, 2020
Nonetheless, Metcalf now has an open invitation to affix a number of the quickest people on the planet on the United States Olympic Monitor And Area Trials in Eugene, Oregon, subsequent yr. The occasion will run from June 18 to June 27, with the Olympics set to start only one month later.